4 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
4 pounds ground turkey
3 medium yellow onions, finely diced
¼ cup cocoa powder
6 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper
4 orange peppers, diced
2 cans diced tomatoes (28 ounce can)
2 cans red kidney beans (19 ounce can)
3 limes (zest and juice)
1-2 avocados, cubed
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- On med-high heat brown the ground turkey in a large sauce-pot in 2 tbsp olive oil. Be sure to work in small batches so the meat isn’t crowded in the pot. This will ensure that the meat browns nicely. Set cooked turkey aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in the sauce-pot on med-high heat. Cook onions until they are softened, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add browned meat back to the pot, stirring together with the onions. Add cocoa powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Stirring, cook for 2-3 minutes to enhance the flavor of the spices.
- Add orange peppers and tomatoes. Stir well and simmer on med-low heat, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add kidney beans and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes or until chili is a nice thick consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add lime zest and stir well.
- Add a squirt of lime juice to each bowl before serving.
- Garnish with avocado cubes and cilantro.
Eye Nutrients: Zeaxanthin and lutein, vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber