This twist on classic chili is a hit all year round. Make it a day ahead as the flavors enhance the next day.
4 tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
4 pounds ground turkey
3 medium yellow onions, finely diced
¼ cup cocoa powder
6 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper
4 orange peppers, diced
2 cans diced tomatoes (28 ounce can)
2 cans red kidney beans (19 ounce can)
3 limes (zest and juice)
1-2 avocados, cubed
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- On med-high heat brown the ground turkey in a large sauce-pot in 2 tbsp olive oil. Be sure to work in small batches so the meat isn’t crowded in the pot. This will ensure that the meat browns nicely. Set cooked turkey aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in the sauce-pot on med-high heat. Cook onions until they are softened, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add browned meat back to the pot, stirring together with the onions. Add cocoa powder, chili powder and salt and pepper. Stirring, cook for 2-3 minutes to enhance the flavor of the spices.
- Add orange peppers and tomatoes. Stir well and simmer on med-low heat, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add kidney beans and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes or until chili is a nice thick consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add lime zest and stir well.
- Add a squirt of lime juice to each bowl before serving.
- Garnish with avocado cubes and cilantro.
Eye Nutrients: Zeaxanthin and lutein, vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber
Closed on long weekends.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns about your eye health. If you require assistance after hours, please dial 811 for further guidance. If you are experiencing an eye emergency after hours, we recommend seeking care at the Rockyview General Hospital's Department of Ophthalmology.
English, Cantonese, French