Kickin’ Crispy Kale
Good source of: lutein and zeaxanthin
- 1 large Bunch lacinato kale
(Also known as “dinosaur kale”)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and paprika, or cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash and rinse the kale: pat dry.
- Tear kale into pieces by hand, removing tough middle stem if desired.
- In large mixing bowl, toss kale with garlic, nuts, olive oil, and seasoning as desired. Use your hand to rub the kale with the oil and spices for few minutes.
- Place mixture and baking dish, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. cook longer for extra crispness.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl.
Makes approximately 4 servings.
Roasted garlic and kale soup
Good source of: Antioxidants, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 cup uncooked elbow or bowtie pasta ( ideally whole wheat)
- 8 cups of kale, washed, drained and chopped. (remove the spines)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cans lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped (or 2 tbsp, dried)
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp “Better than Bouillon” chicken base or 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wrap garlic in aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from foil, cool, and squeeze cloves from skin. Set them aside.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain then set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and Sage, then cook until onion is transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Approximately 5 minutes. Add Kayla continue to stir for another 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, stock, and chicken base or bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potato is soft, but still firm, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add pasta and beans the mixture, adjust seasonings and heat through for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 8 generous servings.